Saturday, May 10, 2008

le 10 mai 1940

My mother's brief entry in her account book reads:

"Vendredi 10 mai Premier jour de la guerre.
Un soldat vient chercher Pierre à 2h du matin. 5h. Premiers bombardements.
De 8h30 à 10h30 apporté ses affaires à Pierre. Nous sommes restés ensemble pendant 3h.
Alertes toute la journée. Les anglais arrivent."

Friday May 10 First day of the war
A soldier comes at 2 a.m to fetch Pierre. 5 h. First bombings.
8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Took his chest to Pierre. We stayed together for 3 hours. Alerts all day long. The English are coming.

Was it on that day of fear and confusion that was planted in me the seed of a lifelong horror of war?

This is a timely reminder of how Mother's Day came to be:


(If you have audio problems, just let the video run once without sound, then replay with sound on.)

If you wish, you can ask me how you can help through No More Victims .

1 comment:

Cowboys & Custard said...

Bonjour Françoise..
I discovered you through the Two Crofters blog and was intrigued by your comment that you grew up in post war Belgium.
I have to ask you where it was you grew up..
My mother came from Renaix now Ronse and her family suffered terribly during the war..
I would love to hear from you..

Regards
Michèle