Thursday, July 24, 2008

America before Pearl Harbor



A friend sent me this series of pictures describing life in America before Pearl Harbor at the time when color photography became widely available. Even though I know much has changed, I still found it somewhat startling to realize all the social and economic shifts that have taken place in a couple of generations.

After looking at these pictures, I realize how difficult it is to imagine the world in which my grandchildren will be seniors themselves. Certainly very different. Better? Maybe, but I have my doubts . . .

Click on the "America before Pearl Harbor" set. To see the caption, click on the upper right hand corner of the picture or you can click on the small screen for a slide show without captions.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful and fascinating set of pictures. I think it should give us pause when we long for the "good old days", or some future utopia. Life is always more complex than that.

These pictures were taken around the time my parents were born. And today, life is better and worse, easier and more difficult. We have lost some things of value, but gained others.

JoJo said...

I love the girls in matching flour sack dresses. I have a baby quilt that my grandmother made for me just months before she died of tuberculosis. We think of pastels when we think of babies, but my quilt is blacks and grays and all sorts of scraps. Even the batting is leftover fabrics. I love the color of the flour sack fabric. This photo reminds us that going green was already a part of the American way. We just turned to plastics and throw aways. Maybe now it is time to go back.