Friday, September 26, 2008

Interesting Times

May you come to the attention of those in authority
May you find what you seek
May you live in interesting times

Chinese curse

Well, I am about to become a citizen so obviously the authorities have neatly raked my past history and forgiven me for whatever sins I may have committed in the turbulent 60's. As for finding what I am seeking, I am safe on that score.
So that leaves the third curse, and these are certainly interesting days we are experiencing, aren't they? Whichever end of the political spectrum we, voters, may favor, we are united in uncertainty and anxiety about the future.

As a respite from the disturbing news and somber conversations, I revert to simple occupations: drawing onions on a plate, lining up quinces to ripen on the window sill, picking the last of the apples for applesauce, and last but not least reading about the much more disturbing XIIIth century* while 20 year old Gris gently purrs on my lap.


And you, how do you keep a sense of balance in these uneasy days?



*"Four Queens" by Nancy Goldstone is a splendid page turner even though, since it is non-fiction, you know how it ends. Thank you to Peter who recommended it.

3 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I am struggling and not managing to keep a sense of balance right now. sigh.

Kate G. said...

The only activities that reduce my high anxiety levels about the state of the world are hiking in the mountains and reading.

Jojo said...

Thank you for stopping by. Work has been consuming and as a result I was very behind in keeping up with my blog friends. It was good to hear from you. In these uncertain times, focusing on the small things can be very reassuring. I read the posting about the woman from Rwanda. I volunteer with a group that provides legal services to those seeking asylum. The stories of such atrocities can be consuming in that they are unimaginable. My husband I and served as a sponsor for a young Liberian woman a few years back. The events she dealt with alone as a young child are things that no one can imagine. To this day she can't and won't discuss the years of personal torture but the stories need to be told and more of us need to hear them.