Sunday, December 7, 2008

A December Amaryllis


One December, when I was a young girl, my father brought home a big fat bulb, bigger than any I had ever seen. With the family watching in a semi-circle he filled a big pot with special soil and set the bulb in its middle. It sprouted and grew centimeters almost as we watched. Its thick green head got rounder and rounder till it split right open, and the stunning red flower unfolded. I fell in love right there and then, and one of my Christmas tradition was born.


I caught these shots as the sun suddenly shone on an otherwise gray day


I tried a black and white look,


but I really do love that bright red!

6 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

These are magic creatures.
I do love that black and white. It's fit for a frame.

I need orange said...

Oh yes, must have the color.......

Love the way the layered petals look, with the sun behind......

Jojo said...

Hi Francoise! Please stop by my blog for a little surprise for you.

Jojo said...

Such a beautiful sight when the weather has gotten so dreary and nothing much is blooming. From what I hear, you have snow today so it makes the amaryllis even more special. To answer your question, yes, God willing, Portland, '09.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Francoise. It's wonderful to read of your travels, food, and family. Not to mention your Obama support (which I am mentioning). Seeing the pictures of the food in
Belgium reminds me of your superb gastronomie, which is yet an inspiration. I still have the Larousse.
with love,
Jeff and Sheila

Françoise said...

Jeff and Sheila, you can reach me directly by clicking on the "skiing in the Pyrénées" picture and using the e-mail on that site. I would be lovely to catch up after so many years,
Love, F.