Saturday, May 23, 2009

Part One: Les Etangs d'Ixelles



That's what the header picture shows: one of two small lakes in my hometown of Brussels. As a small child I fed ducks there with my grandmother.

In 1952, I was riding in the streetcar number 16 from her house to my school when a boy told me his name and asked me mine. Not an original conversation starter on school routes except that no one had ever addressed thirteen year old me in this manner.
Before much more could be said, we reached my school and we parted. In the following days and weeks he became a fixture in my between school and home life. I readily fell in love with the tender, funny 16 year-old with shiny blue eyes. He was my first kiss, my first boyfriend. He was the beginning of a lifelong love story.

Next: The Course of Love Never Did Run Smooth

7 comments:

Jill, Joe and Foxy said...

Love the story and the new header photo.

hattie said...

What a nice picture of the lake down the hill from where I live.
It has gotten even prettier after almost 3 days of sunshine.
Yesterday we saw an unusual bird among the many ducks, geese, and pigeons, and found it to be a mandarin duck. According to our book, Belgium must be a new habitat for this species.
Days like this will make it all the harder to leave. Belgians are all smiles, sundresses, and tee shirts today!
Harriet

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Lovely story. I married my first love as well!

Jojo said...

Welcome home! I am so happy that you have had some time in your other home. Still trying to figure out my travel plans. My Goddaughter was just born and I will be going west for her Baptism so I am waiting on the final date.

What a wonderful post.

Kate G. said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere! I have missed you.

Your new header picture made me quite nostalgic, although it has been (very uncharacteristically) raining so much in Colorado that I feel as though I'm back in Belgium.

miss cottrell said...

dear fwat, i can barely stand how romantic it all is. thank you for your call the other day, i promise to call very soon. much love to you and your lovely man.

michel said...

Moi aussi, apres tant d'annee, je me souviens de cette merveilleuse journee du printemps 1958, comme si c'etait hier. Beaucoup d'eau a coule sous le pont de la vie mais "SWEET MEMORIES NEVER DIE".

M.d