Sunday, February 6, 2011

Times three

Two weeks ago I joined the legion of parents who opened their home to an adult child and, in my case, grandchild.  They packed their bags in the NE and drove five days to the the NW. For the last twenty years we have seen each other at long intervals only.  My solo life has been multiplied by three.  Three times the expenses in some areas but also three times the help with home and garden. 

 Now respectively 72, 42, and 20 this is a chance to relate to each  other as adult women at three very different stages of life.   A chance also for me to re-visit my own relationships with my mother and grandmother, to  ponder on the roles we play in the course of a lifetime and the legacy of memories.
For their own sakes I am anxious that they get permanent work but I am not impatient to see them go.

1 comment:

Jojo said...

Congratulations and while it might be an adjustment, what a special family time. Hope you are doing well.