Saturday, May 7, 2011

Celebrating Mothers

Mahaut, my pretty young mother in 1939.

I don't believe in an after life, Maman, 
but they say I have your smile.
So do


Minerve 
your granddaughter,
and
 
Gabrielle
your great granddaughter.

A smile is good to leave behind,
I remember yours.
Merci Maman.

§§

Je ne crois pas à l'au-delà, Maman,
mais on me dit que j'ai ton sourire.
 Elles l'ont aussi
Minerve, 
ta petite-fille
et
Gabrielle,
ton arrière petite-fille.

Laisser un sourire c'est beau.
Je me souviens du tien.
Merci Maman.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I can't get over how much you look like her. My memory is foggy, but I seem to remember you giving my mom
an art deco enameled butterfly pendant, that had belonged to your mom. I've coveted that for years. I remember when you gave it to her and it was like a revelation to me that people could and should pass precious things to friends, because in many ways they are your family and your legacy.